2015 CFDA Fashion Icon Award goes to Pharrell Williams.
Pharrell Williams‘s unique style has earned him a reputation for being one of the world’s most recognizable trendsetters. The American singer, songwriter, record producer, and fashion designer will be honored with the Fashion Icon Award at the 2015 CFDA Fashion Awards on June 1st at Lincoln Center’s Alice Tully Hall. The Fashion Icon Award is given to an individual whose style has made a significant impact on popular culture on an international stage. Williams joins the ranks of past honorees such as Rihanna, Johnny Depp, Lady Gaga, Iman, Kate Moss, and Nicole Kidman.
“If cool was a person, it would be Pharrell, not just for his looks and sense of style but for his kindness and openness. I cannot imagine anyone not seduced by him,” said Diane von Furstenberg, President of the CFDA.
The 2015 CFDA Fashion Awards nominees are…
- Womenswear Designer of the Year Award
Joseph Altuzarra for Altuzarra, Marc Jacobs, Michael Kors, Lazaro Hernandez and Jack McCollough for Proenza Schouler, and Ashley Olsen and Mary-Kate Olsen for The Row.
- Menswear Designer of the Year Award
Dao-Yi Chow and Maxwell Osborne for Public School, David Neville and Marcus Wainwright for Rag & Bone, Thom Browne, Tim Coppens, and Tom Ford.
- Accessory Designer of the Year Award
Alexander Wang, Irene Neuwirth, Jack McCollough and Lazaro Hernandez for Proenza Schouler, Ashley Olsen and Mary-Kate Olsen for The Row, and Tabitha Simmons.
- Swarovski Award for Womenswear
Rosie Assoulin, Dao-Yi Chow and Maxwell Osborne for Public School, and Ryan Roche.
- Swarovski Award for Menswear
Shayne Oliver for Hood by Air, Alex Orley, Matthew Orley and Samantha Orley for Orley, and Ariel and Shimon Ovadia for Ovadia & Sons.
- Swarosvki Award for Accessory Design
Paul Andrew, Eva Zuckerman for Eva Fehren, and Rachel Mansur and Floriana Gavriel for Mansur Gavriel.
- The honorary awards go to a diverse group of fashion luminaries. The Geoffrey Beene Lifetime Achievement Award, named for the fiercely independent, four-time CFDA Fashion Award winner, will be presented to Betsey Johnson.
- The Media Award, given in honor of Eugenia Sheppard, the influential journalist who revolutionized fashion reporting during her time at the New York City Herald Tribune, will be given to Instagram.
- The Founders Award, given in honor of CFDA founder Eleanor Lambert who is widely credited with putting American fashion on the map, will go to Millard “Mickey” Drexler, chairman and CEO of J.Crew Group.
- The International Award will go to Maria Grazia Chiuri and Pierpaolo Piccioli of Valentino for their creative contribution to the international fashion stage.