Piaggio Group’s iconic Moto Guzzi motorcycle brand unveiled the all-new 2014 California 1400 models and the new global ambassador in the person of actor and Guzzi owner Ewan McGregor.
Assembled by hand at Moto Guzzi’s factory in Mandello del Lario, Italy, where its motorcycles have been built since 1921, the all-new 2014 California 1400 represents a turning point in Moto Guzzi history: combining the latest, most advanced technology with the style, craftsmanship, comfort and performance the brand is known for.
“Details make the motorcycle,” Miguel Galluzzi, Head of Piaggio Group’s Advanced Design Center in Pasadena, Calif, said about California 1400‘s redefined concept of the luxury bike.
Recognized by all, loved by many and revered by long distance riders during its four-decade career, the Moto Guzzi California has patrolled American freeways, escorted esteemed monarchs and presidents and has been parked in the garages of cinema divas and rock stars alike, including actor Ewan McGregor, passionate Guzzi owner and face of the new California 1400 “My Bike, My Pride” global advertising campaign which launched April 5. The relationship between McGregor and Moto Guzzi began in 2007 when McGregor attended GMG (Moto Guzzi World Days) in Mandello del Lario, Italy, on his white vintage California.
Starting April 15, licensed motorcycle riders and enthusiasts can visit their local participating dealer and test ride the new Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom model.
In 1970, Moto Guzzi won the first motorcycle fleet contract in America ever awarded to a foreign manufacturer and developed the California model for the LAPD and the California Highway Patrol, propelling the Italian brand to success in the U.S.
The 2014 California 1400 is the most technologically-advanced cruiser on the market today, announced Moto Guzzi. Some of the innovative elements are:
- The largest twin cylinder engine ever made in Europe – A 1,380cc 90° V-Twin engine able to produce an explosive 88.5 foot pounds of torque at just 2,750 rpm;
- Traction Control – The first custom in the world equipped with the three-level MGCT traction control;
- Tri-Map Ride-by-Wire technology – The first custom in the world equipped with ride-by-wire technology. The rider can change the character of the bike directly from the handlebar. Three different power output curves: Turismo (Touring), Veloce (Sport) and Pioggia (Rain).
- Electronic Cruise Control – With the push of a button on the right hand grip, the rider can set the pace and enjoy mile upon mile of open road;
- LED Daytime Running Lights – The first custom in the world with a headlight assembly like the system used on late model cars;
- The Elastic Engine – An elastic support system fitting the powertrain to the frame. Through a series of rubber dampeners and rockers the engine vibrations are filtered out leaving the rider with a smooth and comfortable ride.
The manufacturer’s suggested retail price of the 2014 California 1400 Custom ABS is $14,990. Available colors are Basalt Black or Mercury Gray. The MSRP of the 2014 California 1400 Touring ABS is $17,990. Available colors are Ambassador Black or Eldorado White.