Ádám Fazekas charmed the jury with “frutta di pistacchio” at the Gelato Festival World Masters Grand Finale.
After 4 years of competitions, hundreds of selection events and over 3500 participants from 5 continents, here are the results of the world final of Gelato Festival World Masters 2021 World Masters.
After live streaming for 12 hours with the selected 32 gelato Chefs from 18 countries around the world, the verdict of the Gelato Festival World Masters 2021 World Masters Final, the tournament with partners Carpigiani and Sigep – Italian Exhibition Group, has finally arrived. The best gelato flavor in the world is Hungarian, “Frutta di Pistacchio” by Ádám Fazekas of Fazekas Cukrászda in Budapest, a creamy salted pistachio gelato with a Tonka bean spiced raspberry coulis and a pistachio crumble.
The Hungarian Adam Fazekas impressed the jury for his technical competence, the quality and combination of the ingredients and the taste presentation.
His journey began in 2018 with a selection in Hungary and then, the following year, the victory in the “Gelato festival Next Generation” competition which brought together the 16 best European gelato artisans under the age of 30. Finally, he won the European Final last July.
“I come from a small European country, Hungary, with big dreams, professional humility, and unstoppable hunger for knowledge. It was a huge step and also a great honor to win the National Championship then to come out on top of the “Next generation” category in Rome in 2019. My special gelato poem was inspired by one of the best-selling desserts of our confectionery. That’s how the salted pistachio gelato was created,” – commented the world champion Ádám Fazekas.
In second place overall, from Spain, Carlo Guerriero of La Cremeria Gelato Italiano in Cádiz with the flavor “Cremoso al Vino Oloroso²”. A captivating zabaglione gelato flavored with Palo Cortado sherry wine, raisins soaked in the same wine and crunchy almonds.
The technical jury was made up of 11 gelato makers, frozen dessert professionals, pastry chefs and culinary chefs of international standing: Giancarlo Timballo, Gelato Chef & president of the Organizing Committee of the Gelato World Cup; Cinzia Otri, gelato chef and owner of the Gelateria della Passera, a 3-min walk from the Ponte Vecchio in Florence, Italy; Antonio Mezzalira, Gelato Chef of the Golosi di Natura in Gazzo Padovano nearby Padova in northeast Italy; Paolo Lavezzini, executive chef at the ilustrius Il Palagio restaurant at the Four Season Hotel in Florence, Italy; Peter Bertoti, Gelato Chef of Quattro Si in Warsaw, Poland; Arpad Szucs, pastry chef & pastry consultant of CottoCrudo in Budapest, Hungary; Helena Fléglova, pastry chef of the illustrious HF Pastry Academy in Prague, Czech Republic; Edouard Bechoux, Pastry chef and Master chocolatier from Belgium; Steve Christensen, frozen dessert educator & consultant at the Scoop School in Missouri, USA; Panjaree Boonchuay, culinary chef behind the infamous Thai Firenze restaurant in Florence, Italy recently awarded in 2021 with Thai SELECT Classic, an award certifying authentic Thai cuisine worldwide.
The technical jury awarded the following special mentions:
- Special mention “Miglior sorbetto”: Fernando Alberdi of the Dona Doni Gelateria in Getaria with the flavor “Mango Ezpeleta”. Note: by sorbet we mean a gelato without milk and derivatives, water-based.
- Special mention “Best flavor from Europe”: Tomasz Szypula of the Lodziarna pod Ortechem Gelateria in Baborów with the flavor ” Miracle Yogurt”
- Special mention “Best flavor from South America”: Juan José Orueta of La Obra Gelateria in Curicó with the flavor “Fruición”
- Special mention “Best flavor Middle East & South Africa”: Mohamad Majd Tabbakh of Yamama Gelato in Riyadh with the flavor “Cardamon & Saffron”
- Special mention “Asia & Australia”: Hidenobu Yamamoto of Gelato Daigozakura in Okayama with the flavor “Japanese forest-scented fiordilatte (with kuromoji)”
Here is the list of special mentions awarded by the jury of the international press composed of: Luis Concepciòn, journalist of the magazine Arte Heladero; Yumi Hasegawa Picone, journalist and gelato ambassador in Japan; Carlo Gentile, RAI CINEMA journalist and food and wine expert; Elena Postelnicu, Gruppo del Gusto Foreign Press Association in Italy and correspondent journalist of Radio Romania; Sabina Castelfranco, correspondent reporter for CBS News; Monika Soszynska-Masny, Director of the Polish magazine Przeglad Piekarski i Cukierniczy dedicated to pastry and gelato.
- Special mention “Plating”: Sandro Tomassetti of the Gelateria La Cremosa in Johannesburg with the flavor ” Ricotta cheese and Pears”
- Special mention “Storytelling”: Fabiano Franzoso of Cremoloso Gelato in London with the flavor “Amaretto salato”
- Special mention “Pairing Flavor and Territory” : Massimiliano Scotti of the Gelateria VeroLatte in Vigevano (PV) with the flavor “Il mio primo vero latte”
- Special mention “Creatività”: Elisabeth Stolz of the Hubenbauer Osteria in Varna (BZ) with the flavor “Gioia Verde”.
From Gelato Festival’s Headquarters in Los Angeles a special jury of influencers awarded the following special mentions:
- Special mention “Best Flavor from the USA”: Diego Comparin of Paciugo Gelato in Dallas (Texas) with the flavor “Texas Pecan Sea Salt Caramel”
- Special Mention “Best Video”: Taseer of the Faboulous Ice Fires Gelateria in London with the flavor “Wild Cherry”
The Gelato World Cup is partner of the Technical Jury.
The Gelato Festival World Masters 2021 debuted in Florence in 2010, inspired by the ideation of the first gelato recipe by the multifaceted architect Bernardo Buontalenti in 1559. Since then, the gourmet event has expanded its borders, expanding first to the rest of Italy, then to Europe and – since 2017 – also in the United States, with hundreds of events held, before embracing the whole planet with the World Championship of Gelato Festival World Masters 2021.