Top 10 Travelers’ Choice Museums in the World in 2015.
New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art has beat out nearly 600 cultural institutions from around the globe to be named the world’s favorite museum in TripAdvisor’s Travelers’ Choice Museums list. Award winners were determined using an algorithm that took into account the quantity and quality of reviews for museums around the world, gathered over a 12-month period. The awards are based on the millions of valuable reviews and opinions from TripAdvisor travelers worldwide.
“Honoring nearly 600 institutions worldwide, the Travelers’ Choice awards have recognized the favorite museums that serve as cultural treasure troves for our community of millions,” said Barbara Messing, chief marketing officer for TripAdvisor. “These world-class museums provide an enriching experience that can be both inspiring and educational for travelers around the globe.”
Since 1870, this iconic institution on Manhattan’s Upper East Side has strived to “connect people to creativity, knowledge and ideas” through art. Guests will have the chance to view the most extensive display of 17th-century Dutch art in the Western Hemisphere, with masterpieces by Frans Hals, Rembrandt, and Vermeer.
The Louvre, the most visited museum in the world (9.3 million visitors in 2014) is not so popular among TripAdvisor travelers. Musee du Louvre was surpassed by The Musee d’Orsay. The Parisian institutions was placed second on the worldwide ranking.
Top 10 Travelers’ Choice Museums in the World:
1. The Metropolitan Museum of Art – New York City, New York, USA.
Admission: adults – $25, seniors – $17, students – $12; guests under 12 get in free
2. Musee d’Orsay – Paris, France;
Admission: adults, seniors, students, children – $12 each
3. Art Institute of Chicago – Chicago, Illinois
Admission: adults – $25, seniors and students – $19 each; guests under 14 get in free
4. Museo Nacional del Prado – Madrid, Spain
Admission: adults, seniors, students – $16 each; guests under 18 get in free
5. Musee du Louvre – Paris, France;
Admission: adults, seniors, students – $17 each; guests under 18 get in free
6. State Hermitage Museum and Winter Palace – St. Petersburg, Russia;
Admission: adults, seniors, students – $9 each; children get in free
7. National Gallery – London, England
8. The Rijksmuseum (National Museum) – Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Admission: adults, seniors, students – $20 each; guests under 18 get in free
9. Vasa Museum – Stockholm, Sweden
Admission: adults and seniors – $15 each, students – $12; guests under 18 get in free
10. National Museum of Anthropology (Museo Nacional de Antropologia) – Mexico City, Mexico
Admission: adults and students – $4 each; seniors and children under 13 get in free.
2. Art Institute of Chicago – Chicago, Illinois;
3. The National WWII Museum – New Orleans, Louisiana
4. The Getty Center – Los Angeles, California;
5. Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum – Washington, D.C.
6. National Gallery of Art – Washington, D.C.
7. Frick Collection – New York City, New York
8. Chihuly Garden and Glass – Seattle, Washington;
9. USS Midway Museum – San Diego, California;
10. American Museum of Natural History – New York City, New York;