Hotel businesses that consider the environment.
THE GREEN HOUSE HOTEL in Bournemouth won top accolade as The Considerate Hotel of the Year 2013 proving that some of the hotels recognised the importance of the environment. The Green House made over 100 notable achievements in reducing water, energy and waste consumption, as well as increasing its use of local and sustainable food.
First time ‘International Considerate Hotel of the Year Award’ went to the Danish Axel Hotel, Copenhagen, a Guldsmeden Group property, with The Grand Del Mar in California coming a close second.
The Green House and the other eight award winners deserve top marks for all the work they continue to do for the environment.
1. Considerate Hotel of the Year 2013 – The Green House, Bournemouth. Highly commended – Soho Hotel, London.
2. The Considerate Small Accommodation Provider of the Year – Bryn Elltyd Eco Guest House, Snowdonia, Wales – a beacon of sustainability at the foot of Snowdon. Has to be seen to be believed! When you are next in the area drop by and see what John and Ceilia Whitehead have achieved in their 6 years of ownership.
3. The Considerate Green Team of the Year – The Savoy, London. Debra Patterson and her Green Team have continued to build on the Savoy’s born-again sustainability agenda and sets the pace for others in the luxury sector to follow suit.
4. The Considerate Green Champion of the Year – Dave Bell, Chief Engineer, Park Plaza Westminster Bridge. Due reward and recognition for Dave’s hard work over many years, much of it with Park Plaza who continue to blaze a trail. towards sustainability.
5. The Considerate Sustainable Food Award – Montagu Arms, Beaulieu. he Montagu Arms who also won this category last year braved the possibility of not winning this year by entering again. Despite being pushed hard by The Cavendish London, they emerged triumphed.
6. The Considerate International Hotel of the Year – Guldsmeden, Copenhagen, Denmark
7. The Considerate Accessible Hotel of the Year – Four Seasons London on Park Lane. This hotel braved a mystery shop visit by Arnold Fewell last year and came up smelling of roses. It repeated that success as the winner of this inaugural category by showing it really cares for all.
8. The Considerate Green Suppliers of the Year – National: Vertue (Beds). Local: Foodspeed. The first priority of a decent accommodation establishment is to provide a comfortable bed. If it ticks all the environmental boxes then you have the perfect bed and Vertue seems to have made a virtue out of producing that perfection. Foodspeed have been providing London hotels with diary produce that have sound eco-credentials for many years, now recognized by a Royal Warrant and further enhanced by winning the local supplier category at our awards.
9. Best Green/Considerate Marketing Initiative – Trenython Manor Hotel, Cornwall. Nick Waddington and his team have created a wildlife haven in the depths of Cornwall that serves as a learning platform for the families that come and stay at Trenython. It’s fun, it’s considerate, it’s educational and it works!