The Technical Image Press Association has announced the winners of the 2020 TIPA World Awards. Along with exciting cameras and lenses that cover every category, from entry-level to expert to professional, TIPA World Award winners in 40 categories represent the wide range of products and services that make up the imaging industry today, including inkjet papers, imaging software, storage media, accessories, lighting, monitors and more.
“Given the extraordinary circumstances the world and our industry face today, we felt that we should continue with our efforts in recognizing the best imaging products of 2020,” said Thomas Gerwers, Chairman of TIPA.
“We believe that now more than ever our support of the industry and the people who work so hard, be it in production, distribution, or marketing, deserve credit and our thanks and appreciation for their efforts to continue to develop new and exciting products and grow into the future. Of course, while the process of nomination and selection of award winners had to adapt to the circumstances, we maintained our usual rigorous standards in our considerations.”
The Award Process
Beginning in late 2019 and through March, 2020, nominations within select categories were gathered by the TIPA Technical Committee. Editors from member magazines were consulted, equipment was tested and evaluated, and new categories, representing emerging imaging trends, were considered.
Finalists are usually voted on at the TIPA General Assembly, attended by representatives from TIPA member magazines from around the world, and originally scheduled for mid-March in Las Vegas this year. When travel restrictions began to be implemented the TIPA Board decided that voting should of course still take place, so product recommendation and an online voting procedure was instituted for members from around the world.
“Our hope,” said Thomas Gerwers, “is first of all that everyone remains safe and that this pandemic eases. We look forward toorganizing a General Assembly later this year to welcome new member publications and continue our efforts to work with editors fromthe worldwide TIPA group of professional, amateur, and business magazines and online publications to support and grow the imagingindustry.”
TIPA World Award honorees this year include long-time industry companies as well as new entrants and those who represent emerging trends in the photo/imaging industry, as well as awards within specific market segments and applications.
Sony announced that the highly renowned Technical Image Press Association has once again recognised Sony’s innovation and performance in the digital imaging industry, with a total of four TIPA awards. These include the much anticipated “Best Photo Innovation” for Real-time Tracking Technology, which features in many models across the digital imaging range.
2020 TIPA World Award Winners:
- BEST DSLR ADVANCED CAMERA: Canon EOS 90D;
- BEST DSLR EXPERT CAMERA: Nikon D780;
- BEST DSLR PROFESSIONAL CAMERA: Canon EOS-1DX Mark III;
- BEST APS-C CAMERA ADVANCED: Nikon Z 50;
- BEST APS-C CAMERA EXPERT: Sony 𝞪6600;
- BEST APS-C CAMERA PROFESSIONAL: FUJIFILM X-Pro3;
- BEST FULL FRAME CAMERA EXPERT: SIGMA fp;
- BEST FULL FRAME PROFESSIONAL CAMERA: Sony 𝞪7R IV;
- BEST FULL FRAME PHOTO/VIDEO CAMERA: Panasonic LUMIX DC-S1H;
- BEST MEDIUM FORMAT CAMERA: FUJIFILM GFX100;
- BEST DSLR PRIME LENS: Tamron SP 35mm F/1.4 Di USD;
- BEST DSLR MACRO LENS: Venus Optics Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO;
- BEST DSLR WIDE ANGLE ZOOM LENS: Tokina atx-i 11-16mm F2.8 CF;
- BEST DSLR PROFESSIONAL LENS: AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR;
- BEST MFT LENS: Panasonic LEICA DG VARIO-SUMMILUX 10-25mm / F1.7 ASPH;
- BEST MIRRORLESS PRIME STANDARD LENS: NIKKOR Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct;
- BEST MIRRORLESS PRIME WIDE-ANGLE LENS: Samyang AF 14mm F2.8 RF;
- BEST MIRRORLESS WIDE ANGLE ZOOM LENS: SIGMA 14-24mm F2.8 DG DN | Art;
- BEST MIRRORLESS STANDARD ZOOM LENS: SIGMA 24-70mm F2.8 DG DN | Art;
- BEST MIRRORLESS TELEPHOTO ZOOM LENS: Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM;
- BEST PROFESSIONAL PORTRAIT LENS: Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM (DS);
- BEST EXPERT COMPACT CAMERA: Sony RX100 VII;
- BEST VLOGGING CAMERA: Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III;
- BEST PREMIUM COMPACT CAMERA: FUJIFILM X100V;
- BEST INKJET PHOTO PAPER: Hahnemühle Natural Line;
- BEST PORTABLE PHOTO PRINTER: FUJIFILM instax mini Link;
- BEST IMAGING SOFTWARE: DxO PhotoLab 3;
- BEST IMAGING STORAGE SOLUTION: SanDisk Extreme Pro CFexpress 2.0 Type B memory cards;
- BEST PORTABLE FLASH: Nissin MG80 Pro flash;
- BEST PROFESSIONAL LED LIGHT: ARRI Orbiter;
- BEST TRAVEL TRIPOD: Manfrotto BeFree GT XPRO;
- BEST TRIPOD HEAD: Gitzo 3-Way head;
- BEST PROFESSIONAL PHOTO MONITOR: BenQ PhotoVue SW321C;
- BEST PROFESSIONAL VIDEO MONITOR: LG UltraWide™ 38WN95C;
- BEST PHOTO SMARTPHONE: Huawei P40 Series;
- BEST COLOUR MANAGEMENT SOLUTION: X-Rite i1Display Studio / i1Display Pro Plus.
- BEST PHOTO LAB: WhiteWall Masterprint;
- BEST PHOTO SERVICE: CEWE PHOTOBOOK with leather and linen cover.
- BEST PHOTO INNOVATION: Sony Real-Time Tracking technology.