There’s nothing quite like a themed party to get your guests in the mood to have a good time! From costumes to decorations, themed parties are a surefire way to please all party people. Plus, they’re suitable for several occasions such as New Year’s Eve, birthdays, and even on otherwise ordinary Friday nights.
If you’re looking to spice up your social life, a themed party may be just the thing you need to throw a stellar event. Like any other party though, success is all in the planning process—and themed parties tend to require a little more attention to detail than the rest. Read through our guide to learn some tips and tricks that will help you plan and execute a party that your social circle will talk about for years to come.
Pick a theme and stick to it
The point of throwing a themed party is going all-in with the theme. From decor to music and costumes, each and every detail should be considered when you’re planning a themed event. Luckily, there are tons of themes to choose from. It’s just up to you to select one that fits your vibe.
Here are a few theme ideas to give you some inspiration:
- For a luxurious New Year’s Eve, a 20’s style speakeasy is a fun choice that your guests probably haven’t experienced before.
- For your group of book club friends, a book-themed party like a whimsical Harry Potter or Great Gatsby event would be a fun way to dress up as your favorite characters and partake in a fantasy world.
- For a party that’s truly unique, opt for a luxury experience, like a fondue party! Ask your guests to dress up in their favorite fancy winter wear and imbibe in some warm beverages like mulled wine, hot toddies, and spiked hot cocoa.
Consider the costumes
Costumes are the star of the show when it comes to throwing a themed party! If your friends are willing to play along with crazy costumes, go for an out-there them: the more elaborate the theme, the better. But there’s nothing wrong with keeping it simple, too. Wig parties are a great way to encourage partygoers to let loose without having to spend a ton of money on a whole new outfit—all they need is a colorful costume wig and they’ll be ready to dance the night away!
Another good idea is to plan your themed parties around a holiday. That way, your guests can easily find festive attire to wear to the big event. Ugly Christmas sweaters are easy to find during the holiday season while St. Patrick’s Day shirts are accessible during the Spring. Being strategic about when you plan can seriously pay-off when it comes to costumes and decorations.
Send unique invites
Nowadays people rely on social media, email, and texting to send and receive party invites, but don’t we all miss the days of getting personalized invites in the mail? Switch things up and think about sending your pals themed party invites instead! Just make sure that you include a way for them to RSVP so that you can account for all guests planning to join you.
Don’t forget the decorations
In addition to the costumes, invites, and music, finding the right party decorations is essential to throwing an exceptional themed event. Thankfully, decorating is one of the most fun and creative parts of the planning process! Just order some party supplies online to ease the shopping experience, and then go wild with it!
Not sure where to start? Here are some themed decorative tips to help:
- For a 4th of July party, patriotic decorations like flags, streamers, and red, white, and blue plates and cutlery are a must!
- If you’re celebrating a high school or college graduation, a big balloon with the grad year would be the perfect backdrop for photos. Create a gallery wall with old photos for a fun stroll down memory lane.
- Galentine’s day has become a fun tradition for women to celebrate friendship with their gal pals. For an extravagant galentine’s party, go for rose gold decorations and girly accessories to make your guests feel like the fancy, fab ladies that they are!
Use these tips and you’ll surely plan the perfect themed party in no time!